Wednesday 29 June 2016

Manners and the EU

If you were to ask anybody what characteristics the British are known for, it's likely that people would mention our stiff upper lip, our love of tea, an obsession with the weather, and how polite we tend to be when in the company of others. Generally, I have a tendency to agree. After all, I'm British and I have love-hate relationship with our weather. I'm partial to tea - whether it be the old-fashioned Tetley's or PG Tips, or the more modern herbal variety. And it's likely that you'll see me letting others get on the bus first, especially if they were at the stop before me.

What I do not agree with, is heckling. It's uncharacteristically impolite to shout others down. I come from that school of thought that suggests that everybody has an opinion, irrespective of how right or wrong that opinion may appear in my eyes.

I was both shocked and appalled with the manner of Nigel Farage's recent conduct at the European Parliament. It wasn't enough that he has shown himself to be aligned with the Far Right of the British political agenda. He was totally uncouth in his deliberations. It is undignified in the extreme to cast aspersions on a whole sitting parliament, simply because some of the members may not have had the same experience as himself. Each member has a certain amount of worth, irrespective of whether they were elected by the wider EU population. They were sent by their associated countries to represent their interests at the highest level within Europe. The biggest concern is that the British thought Mr. Farage was a good fit for us.

Like many, over 16 million others, I am not happy that we voted to leave the EU. However, one of the biggest benefits seems to be that we will not have to worry about the over £150K that is being claimed by a man who exhibits very little in the way of ettiquette.

No comments:

Post a Comment